November 1, 2011

In the Woods.

I am making an effort to set aside time each week to give Red some good 'exploring' time outside. It's tough to find places where he can roam freely without me having to set a bunch of rules and limits for him. I haven't found a perfect solution yet, but we're setting aside our Friday afternoons for 'hiking,' as we're calling it. We went to a public park and explored a little off the path, but I think an ideal solution will involve finding a friend with some land where we can explore without so many rules. I am keeping in mind this quote from the book Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv

          "If getting our kids out into nature is a search for perfection, or is one more chore, then the belief 
               in perfection and the chore defeats the joy. It's a good thing to learn more about nature in orde
               to share this knowledge with children; it's even better if the adult and child learn about nature 
               together. And it's a lot more fun."

It's easy (for me) to get into the mindset of planning and checking things off the list, but this experience has to be leisurely and done with mutual enjoyment. I hope you find your spot on this earth to explore.








No comments:

Post a Comment